9/18/11

Recipe of the Week: Sandwich Bread

Both the picture and recipe in this post are copyrighted by farmgirlfare.com



I love making bread, but had not yet found one that was light and non-crumbly enough to truly use for sandwiches. Then, this delightful recipe entered my life. A-MAZE-ING. I was so happy with my loaves and so was the family!

I found this recipe on one of my favorite sites, Farm Girl Fare. If you are relatively new to bread baking, as I am, you will find her post, which includes numerous tips and explanations, extremely helpful. If you already know what you're doing, here is the simple recipe:


Simple White Sandwich Bread


Makes 3 loaves


Ingredients:


4 cups all purpose flour


1 1/2 TBS instant yeast


2 TBS brown sugar


2 TBS melted butter


4 cups warm milk


6 cups bread flour


1 1/2 TBS salt


Instructions:


In a very large bowl, stir together the all purpose flour, yeast, and sugar. Pour in milk and butter. Mix well. Slowly add 1 cup of bread flour at a time, until you have added 4 cups. Dough should be sticky. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.


Add salt and 1 cup flour. If the dough is too sticky to knead add more flour, up to one cup. Knead on floured surface 8-10 minutes. Add flour as needed to keep from sticking.


Let rise until doubled, about 65 minutes. When the dough is ready, you should be able to push a floured finger deep into it and leave an indentation that doesn't spring back.


Preheat oven to 375. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Shape dough into loaves and place seam side down in greased pans. Cover and let rise about 50 minutes.


Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and let cool 40 minutes before cutting.


*I made a couple changes: I didn't have bread flour, so I used all purpose. I substituted 1/2 cup flour with instant potato flakes to help the bread be less crumbly.*


Perfect with honey butter and strawberry jam ... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment