9/21/11

Recipe of the Week: Spinach Quiche

We have been trying to stretch our grocery budget lately. One of the ways we do this is try to put off grocery shopping until we really don't have anything left to throw together into a decent meal. The longest we have gone is 10 days! Hopefully, as I learn more and get more creative we can strech it out even longer.

So, a few days ago I was standing in front of my almost empty fridge, wondering what in the world I was going to make and really hoping I didn't have to go to the store. And then I saw them. The eggs! I can make quiche! I ran and printed off some recipes and got to work.

Little E was thrilled to help and we had fun, even if it meant there were a few egg shells in the quiche, and quite a bit of egg splashed around. I love this "little helper" stage!

I adapted this recipe from the Food Network. Here is my version:

Spinach and Ham Quiche

6 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cups cream
3/4 cups milk
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup chopped ham
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 (9 inch) pie crust in a glass pie plate (I used this Martha Stewart recipe and the crust was wonderful!)

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine eggs, cream, milk, salt, and pepper.
Layer spinach, ham, green pepper, and cheese in crust.
Pour egg mixture on top.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set.

Even my skeptical husband, who had never had quiche before, approved. (Although he still believes it's best for breakfast)

No comments:

Post a Comment