6/17/10

Dishtowel Bibs


I don't know about you other moms, but I have had a tough time finding bibs that will adequately cover Little E's clothes. Especially now that he is getting older, all the bibs in the stores seem too small. Enter my mom's fabulous creation: Dishtowel Bibs! Once you get the hang of it, these are super easy to make and only take 10 minutes to whip up. These bibs are great if you can find a good deal on the dish towels. I thought you might want to make some, so here's how.

This is my first ever tutorial, so please be patient with me!

Supplies
1 dishtowel
coordinating ribbing (enough for a 3" x 13" strip)*
thread
scissors
sewing machine

*You can adjust the size depending on your baby's head. Little E is 12 months old and through some trial and error we found this size to fit over his head and still be snug. The pictures are of our first try, which was 15" and I thought it was too big.

Instructions

1 - Cut your ribbing into a 3" x 13" strip.


2 - Sew ends of ribbing together. (Right sides facing)

3 - Fold ribbing in half, wrong sides together. (seam inside)

4 - Cut a neck hole in the dish towel. The diameter should be 1 - 1 1/2 inch smaller than your ribbing.

5 - Using 4 straight pins, pin your ribbing to the dish towel, right sides together. The ribbing should be smaller than the hole, so you will need to stretch the ribbing as you sew. It works better if you pin the ribbing down in 4 places so you stretch it evenly as you sew.


6 - Sew using a finishing stitch.


7 - Turn the ribbing under and viola!

Little E seems happy with his new bib!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! I was just thinking how the boys' bibs aren't fitting well anymore (which means multiple outfits and tons of laundry--ick!). I just might try being crafty like you...but we'll just have to see if I'm even half as successful. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE towel bibs. One of my dad's coworkers gave us one for V when I was pregnant with him - complete with his name cross-stitched on front! It was really cute. I've been meaning to make more (since I use it with J, too... ha ha) And my mom used to make these for us when we were little. I think that's practically all we ever used!

    I want to figure out how to make pocket bibs - because I think those are a FABULOUS idea. Maybe I could modify a towel bib to be a pocket bib, too...? (as the gears start turning...)

    ReplyDelete